Just a little Monte story to hopefully make you chuckle and so that years from now I can look back and remember this night.
A few nights ago I was suddenly awakened at 3 am by the sound of Monte SCREAMING! The kind of scream crying that instantly wakes you from a deep sleep, heart beating out of your chest, positive that your kid is NOT ok! I bolted out of bed, wide awake, and ran into his room. He was already out of bed and heading to our room so we met about halfway and I knelt down and hugged him, trying to soothe and comfort him, and attempted to find out what was wrong.
Now I need to preface something here... As many of you know, Monte always has his "thing." I've mentioned it in many blogs over his short lifetime. It is something that he is obsessed with and always has with or near him and his "thing" changes every few days or weeks and varies from anything to cloth wipes, to a toy, to a household object. So right now his "thing" is a tractor he got for Christmas and a trailer that actually belongs with a different truck but he figure out how to hook them together and drives them around all over the house. I just asked him to bring them to me and show me. He carries them like this often.
Here he is asking, "Outside?"
I just love this little weirdo!
Back to the story...
Earlier that night I had gone into Monte's room to cover him up before I went to bed. His tractor and trailer were in the middle of his bed (he can't go to bed without them) so I decided to move them so that he wouldn't roll over onto them or sleep on them. I set them in the glider in his room so that as soon as he woke up he would see them. I knew he would ask for them the first thing in the morning if he couldn't find them so I thought I was being smart by placing them where he could readily see them. Apparently I was wrong...
As I'm kneeling in the doorway, in the middle of the night, hugging Monte saying, "Hey it's ok. What's wrong? Monte, What's wrong?"
He, choking and sputtering, caught his breath and haltingly asked, "tractor? tractor?"
I wasn't sure I was hearing him correctly so I asked, "Your tractor? It's right there on the chair." pointing behind him to the glider.
He instantly stopped crying, turned around, and when he saw the tractor went, "ahhhhh!" Ha ran over to the glider, grabbed the tractor and trailer, put his tractor into his bed lined up against the rail, hooked the trailer onto the tractor also lined up against the rail, climbed back into his bed, looked at me and asked, "blanket?" I covered him with his blanket as he rolled to his side, put his little chubby hands up under his cheeks and peacefully went back to sleep. Just like that! No more crying, no more needing Mama, no more anything, just calm peaceful sleep.
So my question is this.... Does he wake up every night, see his toys, roll over and go back to sleep peacefully comforted by the knowledge that his beloved "Thing" is by his side? Was he having a nightmare that was further thwarted when he woke up and his tractor wasn't there? Was this a fluke thing? I don't know the answer to these questions but one thing I do know.... I will NEVER take his "thing" out of his bed again!! I will simply move it to a better location in his bed! hehe



No comments:
Post a Comment