Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gate Guarding

I've gate guarded a couple times this week.  And, as I've been asked several times what that is, I will explain.  When oil companies move an oil rig, they are required to have a gate guard at each cattle guard the rig crosses.  The rig, trailer houses, and other equipment can't fit through normal size cattle guards so they have to let the wings down or open a bigger gate next to the cattle guard so the rig can fit through.  As the guard, you park next to the gate, out of the way of course, and make sure livestock doesn't get through the gate or let down wings, and make sure that if something gets run over or broken you can say what company or truck it was.  And as I've never seen any livestock near my gates, basically you get paid a lot to sit there and do nothing, well not nothing, I bring a lot of food, walk up and down a lot, read, watch the sunrise etc.  It's actually been awesome weather for something like this and it really is nice to just be outside sometimes!  :)  

Part of the rig.  And just FYI some of those drivers who move this stuff have impressive skills! 




Tuesday, I happend to guard a gate right next to Gunnar's pumping route.  He drove by me which was a fun surprise and break in pace for both of us!  Dad and Penny were also guarding and Gunnar had to pass them to get to his next battery so he got to say hi to each of them.  Kinda fun! 

After I was done, Gunnar was still close by working so I met up with him and got to watch him work for a little while.  He showed me what he does all day.  It was so fun because I never could do that normally.  I stayed well away from the "Danger" "Warning" signs areas! That's why they invented zoom lenses!  I was happy to get to take some pictures because so often work is where men spend hours and hours of their lives and there is never one picture to document it.  I'll probably never get that chance again while he's at this job.  




He tells me about what he does all the time and I can usually understand enough to at least get what he's talking about but now I'll actually be able to picture stuff he describes.



There's just so many valves, pipes, gauges, levers, switches, and tanks and there he was just flipping stuff on or off, turning levers, opening valves, working with chemicals.  I was impressed! haha






This is the heater and separator.  (I know things now ;) 


Entering numbers….


I kinda love this picture! What a handsome hard working husband!  (who really needs a haircut HA!)


Baby bump and pregnancy update coming soon… 

No comments: