Monday, January 26, 2009

the power of music...

So this is something I've been wanting to write about ever since I saw Wicked in London this summer but as most of you understand life happened and I never got around to it :) Well... I attended a Brad Paisley concert last night (which was AMAZING) and was struck with the same thoughts and feelings as when I saw Wicked so I decided I needed to just start this thing and write!


When I saw Wicked, I remember being blown away by the musical talents of the actors. I remember getting goose bumps several times as the lead actress reached the climatic points of several songs. I felt myself being drawn into the music in a way that was strong and stirring. Captivated by the ebb and flow of the musical rhythms and melodies and drawn into the story I felt myself strongly moved by what I suddenly realized is a FICTIONAL story. Now obviously I knew it was a fictional story going in but the realization that I could be so affected by something that wasn't even a real event started stirring thoughts in my head. It made me start thinking that if I could be so strongly moved and effected by a group of people acting and singing about fictional happenings how powerful the Lord must have created music to be. Also, most of the actors would dance while they sang, creating patterned effects across the stage full of color and energy that allured the eye and complimented the rhythms and sway of the music. These also seemed to speak to me and draw me into another place.


As the musical progressed I started thinking that God has created humans to be effected, sometimes to the point of change, by music. All throughout the Psalms, David talked about singing songs of praise to the Lord and playing instruments of worship towards the Lord. He had thousands of musicians creating music honoring the Lord. Music somehow seems to transfer us to a new of different place where we can worship the Lord in a sanctuary of beautiful sounds undisturbed by chaotic "noise." It can take us to a place where we can be changed and molded.


Last night at the Brad Paisley concert, I begin to think of this again as Dierks Bentley was preforming. His lead guitarist started playing some sweet guitar solo and I felt myself once again being drawn into it with a seeming invisible yet powerful force. The notes seemed to somehow resonate on my heart and I felt myself being pulled into the music. As the concert progressed, Brad came on and put on a great show using over 10 guitars!! I started to think about this concept of music again and how it can lure people's heart into itself. Many of Brad's songs are goofy, pointless, or "unchristian" and yet because of his and his band's very talented musical skills, the songs all seemed to pull on my heart. I started thinking about how if a fictional musical or a country music singer's music can have such a power over me even if for a brief period just how powerful music can be.


During the concert I was reminded of how I had felt at Wicked. How I was amazed that something that really has no lasting meaning or effect on my life (plays, concerts etc) can be so powerful and somehow stirring. The music at these two events and at others as well, has an ability to capture my heart and draw me in. This made me start thinking about worship and how the Lord has designed a part of worship to include music. Its like He has created us to be musical beings (even those who have no musical ability can enjoy and be affected by music) who can be changed and allured into this place of melodies and notes. That He has created or designed a way for us to bring honor to Him while being drawn to Him using a catalyst of music. While singing or listening to music with the Lord in mind it is so easy to be drawn into a deeper place with Him where your heart becomes clay in His hands. Music also has a way to stir my heart up where I seem to notice and want to honor Him more. To notice and be captivated by the beauty of harmony!

While I'm not sure if this will resonate with anyone else's heart I felt compelled to write it simply as a way of examining it more thoroughly and to "get it off my chest" so to speak :) So, as the title suggests, I have come to a deeper understanding lately of how music is powerful!



4 comments:

Ty said...

Yo, Kel. Sweet stuff here. I'm pretty excited that you are putting pen to paper, so to speak, for us to read.

And I get what you're saying about music. Music (whether "Christian" or not) has a way of motivating a person to think or feel a certain way. It can be very powerful. We certainly have to guard our hearts when it comes to what we allow to move us.

And I'm jealous of pretty much everybody with musical talent. Sometimes I think that there are certain thoughts or feelings buried within all of us that will stay there unless we learn some type of music to create an outlet for them.

Bravo. Welcome to the blogosphere.

Mary said...

Hey! I'm so glad that you started a blog! I can tell already that I will enjoy hearing what you have to say! Way to go!

Sara said...

Welcome to blogging! I think music is soulfood, good post!

I'm a huge Brad Paisley fan- thanks for the pic.

I'm curious what you were referring to as "unchristian." (Is it the song about removing ticks??)lol

Villyval said...

very true!!!

1 Sam 16:23