Tuesday, July 19, 2016

It's a goat catching, bull cutting kinda day!

Yesterday we went out to Tom Green, what we call Gunnar's parents place in Tom Green County, clever huh?!  Sid had a bull calf that needed to be cut and Gunnar had goats that needed to be taken to the sale.  Reb, Ann, and Mimi joined us out there and we made a day of it! 

Monte loves cows and most of them were at the pens so he was thrilled.  He even petted a few tamer ones! 

He still isn't the most confident about walking on uneven ground and I don't think he likes it when the weeds scrape up against his legs so there was a lot of finger assisting but I mean how great is this?!

LOTS of water drinking!  For both of us!

Lots of dead stick playing!
 

Our little growing family!
 

The guys cut the calf, which took like a whole 5 minutes maybe, then we headed out to find the goats. Sid, Ann and Mimi took Monte and headed one direction, and Reb hopped in with us and we headed in the opposite direction.  The plan was to find the goats then head to the cabin for lunch, then go back and catch them later, but like always when does "the plan" ever actually work?!
 

We found the goats and they were near a pen so Gunnar decided to go ahead and pen them.  The problem was that these things always seem to take longer than you think and we had all Monte's food with us but no Monte.  But we went for it anyway! 

The billy followed Gunnar right in but the others were more reluctant and finally left.  Reb corralled them back while Gunnar and I got the right panel open to be able to push them down the fence line.  and by "I," I mean that I held stuff while Gunnar did the heavy lifting.  I'm not quite as useful pregnant as I normally am...

Honestly it worked like a charm, we had tied the billy in and the guys pushed the rest of them down the fence line while I bridged the gap between the gate and the brush.  
 

Then the rodeo commenced!  Gunnar roped the ones he wanted to catch then Reb would grab them and they would get them to the truck where I was waiting to open and shut the gates.  That all sounds a lot easier than it actually was but it was sure entertaining and it was fun watching brothers work together and enjoy working together!





Success!! We then headed back to the cabin and enjoyed lunch with everyone and didn't take one picture!!  All in all it was a great day!  We got several of "those" errands done after dropping off the goats, ya know those errands that you just never seem to get around to?! 


Update:  Turns out there were some pictures with Mimi!


Monte not sure about all this bull cutting stuff!



Riding around with Grandad

He was pretty fascinated by the goats!





No comments: