Gunnar spent the summer on a cattle ranch in Colorado working as an intern. The ranch is situated in the foothills of the Rockies about 45 min. North East of Colorado Springs. The weather was beautiful, the landscape glorious and the people friendly and inviting. I flew up to visit for about a week in mid July and was so glad to see my boyfriend and escape the humid heat of College Station for the cool evenings in the mountain air.
I need to back up a little here. When I went to Colorado I was definitely hoping Gunnar would propose. I mean it just seemed like such a great opportunity! Mountains, blue skies, pine forests, Pikes Peak in the distance! I could, however, think of several good and loving reasons why he might not propose until after our summer of long distance was over. So I was definitely hoping but had come to a place where I would not have been disappointed if he hadn't proposed...... Did I mention I was hoping?!
So Sunday, July 15th, we got up, went to church, moved irrigation, hung out at his boss’ house and just enjoyed a relaxing day. Late into the afternoon Gunnar pretty much just got up and went to saddle the horses. I had been going with the flow all week so I just went along but I did have the passing thought "I wonder why he didn't ask me if I wanted to ride.....oh well." He later told me that he knew he needed to make sure and ask me if I wanted to go ride so I wouldn't suspect anything but forgot about it in all his nervousness.
As we were saddling up, Cody, a young cowboy and friend of Gunnar's on the ranch, kept giving me these weird looks. I asked Gunnar, "What’s up with Cody? He keeps looking at me like I'm an alien!!" Gunnar just kinda blew it off causally and responded with something like, "Oh that's just how Cody is." Later that night after Gunnar had proposed and I had had time to process everything I told him “So THAT'S why Cody kept giving me weird looks!!! Haha"
We rode leisurely along around the base of a hill and came to place where we could see Pikes Peak beautifully displayed in the distance. We tried to get pictures with it in the background but it was too far away for the shots I was wanting. We still got some fun shots and had fun trying to take a picture with two horses, one dog, two people and just ourselves as photographers!!
At some point earlyish into our ride, we passed a group of large boulders nestled into the side of the mountain. I made a comment about how pretty the spot was or something and Gunnar, very teasingly tells me, "Yeah I thought about taking you for a date in those rocks but decided not to." Of course I knew he was teasing me and responded back accordingly. I knew it was all in good fun and he responded with something like "I guess I shouldn't have told you that huh?!" "OF COURSE you shouldn't have!!!" was my all appropriate response!!
To be continued...

No comments:
Post a Comment