This past summer my Grandpa Buck died. Now Grandpa Buck was not actually my grandfather but we called him that because he had been the only positive father figure my mom and her siblings ever had growing up. Technically he was my mom's cousin's husband but was a good 40 years older that my mom...yeah I know weird family anyway... At his funeral I got a revelation that I had known before reblasted on my spirit with a deeper knowledge. There were many older people in attendance and I begin to notice how genuine, true and deep their love for the Lord was. Prior to the funeral, I was introduced to the pastor who conducted it. He was a smaller man who was the pastor of a small baptist church out in Dove Creek I think. According to "greatness" standards, I doubt a little country church fits the bill for "an amazing accomplishment" yet when I shook his hand I was struck by the love, joy and honesty I saw in his eyes. You could just tell by watching him - the man deeply and truly loved the Lord and people! There were many other people there that were like this pastor. Just ordinary small town older folks who loved the Lord with all their heart.
During the funeral -it was the most joyous funeral I've ever attended- several family members told stories, read letters and in other ways honored Grandpa Buck. He was the meanest, toughest, hard working cowboy you could ever meet! Tough and grizzled, a man who sat tall in the saddle and worked til the job was complete, yet he'd start crying talking about how his Savior died on the cross for him. He never met a stranger and if someone gave him long enough...more than a "Nice to see ya and I gotta go"...He'd ask them if they knew his Jesus. As I looked around the crowd I saw so many white haired, tough, faithful "old" children of God who were made out of the same "fabric" as Grandpa Buck.
The current movement in the church seems to be always something about the "new." We say things like "The Lord's doing new things in the body of Christ," or "He's raising up a new generation." What we have failed to realize or have overlooked is that all this new stuff that the Lord is doing is because of our grandparents who have been praying for the last 50 years for a move of God in the earth. We have somehow started to believe that we're special because the Lord is doing new things in us. He's raising up new warriors. While this is true let's not forget to thank the everyday normal, small town people who have been faithfully serving and seeking the Lord for years and years. We're reaping their fruit. Actually if you truly look at it, in a way we ARE their fruit! The Lord honors the new and the old!!!
2 comments:
Well said! I know that Buck planted those seeds in me that brought me eventually to the Lord. I think of my own dear mother, praying, praying, praying for her children, grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren. Those dear old praying saints have a great reward coming! Thanks for a well-written blog!
Beautiful and so true!
Post a Comment